Friday, October 22, 2010

Daddy Time

Ryan is in China, again. After this trip, he will have been in China 3 out of the 10 months this year. Crazy. So, before he left, we decided to get in some fun together as a family.
Our first stop was to 6 flags. We're sad that the season is ending because we have so much fun there. Hayden has been asking to go on this ride. I never take her because 1) I have Cole and 2) I thought it would scare her. Ryan took her and she was all smiles. She loved it! I'm so proud of her.

They had an area with the characters in their Halloween costumes and the kids got to trick-or-treat. I'm surprised this picture turned out so well, because the kids were both terrified, but I forced them into a picture.
Hayden is obsessed with sticking her head in these things. Cole went on the rides he's big enough for and then spent some time running around. Yes, RUNNING! More to come in a later post about his running.
Then for Family Home Evening one night we made these ghosts out of milk jugs. Hayden is so proud of them and likes to point them out to people when they come over.
We also made it to a farm. We love Stades farm and have gone there the last 3 years. Unfortunately their open hours didn't fit into our schedule this year. So, we went to Goebbert's farm.
There wasn't much to do for free so we paid to visit their zoo. We got to get up close and personal with the giraffes and feed them. Hayden FREAKED OUT! When we were done, she said "I never, ever, ever want to do that again!" Ryan and I thought it was pretty cool, though.
The animals they had were crazy. It was like an actual zoo on this little pumpkin farm. They had camels, monkeys, ligers (yes, real ligers), bears, zebras, and the regular farm animals.
Super huge horns.
I liked the baby camel. It was so cute.
Hayden liked to feed the llamas carrots. I guess she's more comfortable with the animals that are stuck behind a fence. After the animals, we grabbed some apple cider donuts, and headed home. It was a fun day.
Then on Saturday, Ryan's brother Jonathan was in town. His sister Camille and her husband Eric drove up from Indianapolis so we could all spend the day together downtown Chicago. We met up at Navy Pier, walked around for a bit, then took the trolley to Michigan Avenue.
We had lunch at the fabulous Giordanos, then walked around enjoying the gorgeous weather and beautiful sites.
I love Chicago so so so much!! Every time we go downtown, I get excited and always have a great time. It was fun to see family, too.
We ended the day with Oberweis ice cream, dropped Jonathan at the airport, and hurried home so Ryan could get ready for his flight the next morning. It was a long day, but so great, too!

I just had to throw in this last picture. Hayden was very proud of her mustache.

4 comments:

Steve and Darlene said...

Great pictures! Thanks for the update on all your activities. Hayden and Cole are such a delight. It was fun to have them out here this fall. We miss them a lot. Hope Ryan gets home soon, and all continues to go well at home.

Tim and Ashley Tappana said...

How super fun! I've never been to Illinois, but it looks like a pretty happening place. You are always posting about the fun things you do there. Tim is applying to a couple med schools in Illinois...so who knows? We could end up there and do all those fun things too! I always love seeing the things you do! Sorry about Ryan...that totally sucks. At least it's his last trip for the year!

Kelley Rae said...

Awww . . . now I'm really missing Chicagoland. Six Flags, downtown, Oberweis, Girodano's . . . so much fun!! Sorry Ryan is gone again, that stinks!!

Tim and Heidi said...

You shoudl have stayed a little longer and we could have seen you guys again! We really do need to come visit though!